Monday, August 4, 2014

Liebster Award

I have been nominated by Rebecca from Rebe With a Clause for the blogger-given Liebster Award! I had never heard of the Liebster Award before but am thrilled and very honored to be part of this movement to recognize bloggers and their blogs. Already knee deep in two of the blogs Rebe nominated, it is an excellent way to quote "discover new bloggers."


Nominee Acceptance Guidelines:
1. Acknowledge the blog that nominated you and display the award
2. Answer the 11 questions your nominator gives you
3. Provide 11 random facts about yourself
4. Nominate 5 blogs with less than 1,000 followers that you feel deserve the award
5. Notify the bloggers that you have nominated them and give them 11 questions to answer


--
Eleven Questions from My Nominator [Rebe With a Clause]:


1. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Lyra Belacqua, later named Lyra Silvertongue by Iorek Byrnison, from Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials

2. Pro-zoo or anti-zoo? (Feel free to elaborate)
For now, pro-zoo. Being able to interact with and see all the different animals from different parts of the world is something pretty incredible I think. Apart from my own zoo experiences as a child, the excitement and awe I have seen, as an adult, in the kids I have cared for and babysat when staring at an animal they know about but have never seen - there is a complex connecting of the dots, or learning, going on. Those experiences of course are taken with a grain of salt; these animals are away from their natural  habitats, caged, and put on display. As my little brothers began getting older, we began talking about this exploitation of living things for human consumption and convenience. It's not fair, it's morally troubling, and it's plain sad; however, for the well-maintained zoos I believe are out there, the zoo reality is something I'm okay with for the time being.

3. When you were six, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a singer like Sarah Brightman in The Phantom of the Opera. I also wanted to live in a library. The Arthur library episode had me convince it'd be cool.

4. What are you passionate about?
I have been gravitating towards working with kids. My Korean co-teacher has said many times this year, "You really love kids, don't you?" Presently, I'm passionate about writing, discussing current events and ideas, mentally critiquing and evaluating website and app designs, and eating my Korean school lunches. 

5. You have to sing one karaoke song. What song do you choose?
"Breaking Free" from High School Musical -- here's Allison Williams and Sam Tsui singing their version

6. Describe your ideal Saturday.
Waking up early in a good mood. Checking email to finalize some travel/vacation time with family. A little journaling. Orange juice, peppermint tea, eggs with salt and pepper. Slice of whole wheat whole grain bread, dry. Showering and getting ready while listening to some good tunes. Heading to the big city to meet up with friends for food and drinks. Walking, talking, sightseeing. Late night ride back home, plugged into ipod. Instagram snapshots from the day, Netflix or reading, and then falling asleep in my own bed. 

7. What is one goal you are working to achieve?
Coming to terms with my introversion -- my whole life I've felt apologetic and guilty for my solitude and quiet manner. I've wished a thousand times that I was more - in specific definitions of the words - outgoing, social, and fun. Having read Quiet by Susan Cain (after discovering a copy at the house I was babysitting at), I have a much better grasp on what I can do to better navigate past the mind set I've built up over the years living in a society that values and rewards more extroverted personalities. 

8. What's the best view you've ever seen, or your favorite to see?
Being home, wherever that may be, in the middle of the day. I don't usually get to see the sunlight come through the windows like that. 

9. What's a skill or hobby you've always wanted to learn/take up, but never have?
Paddleboarding 

10. What's a movie (or two) that everyone should see?
Right now, Boyhood seems to be a good bet. The Shawshank Redemption for pop culture references and a general "knowing." 

11. Why do you blog?
I blog because it helps me figure things out. It gives me a platform to write, edit, and publish - a process that forces me to organize my thoughts and think about how to turn this idea or observation or experience I have into something worth reading about. 

My Liebster Award Nominees:


1. Laura Leeson laura as a lemur

A good friend of mine knows Laura and sent me the link to laura as a lemur. Peace Corps, Madagascar, and some awesome dance moves, the detail and information and insight into a completely different location and life from my own is so cool. I really enjoy the 'Wish List' tab.

2. Mallory McInnis my vintage book collection (in blog form)

I came across my vintage book collection (in blog form) when I was searching the web for pictures of the book My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes for an after school class. The author scans old books and large format displays them on her blog. It's quite wonderful. 

3. Neill Bachand 
Neill Bachand
I met Neill while working on VH1's production of the TV series Off Pitch. He is a filmmaker, cinematographer, and photographer who is always working on projects regardless and sometimes because of what new city he's in. "Doing" has resulted in an extensive and passionate body of work. I'm aspiring. 

4. Vicky Lee Outside the Pyxis
Vicky and I officially met at the GEPIK Teacher Workshop in April, though we are part of the same UW-Madison program that came to teach in South Korea. I first started reading her blog during the Badger Blogging Blitz -- I always leave Outside the Pyxis feeling positive about life and its everyday happiness and struggles.

5. Julia Bass bassenyourseatbelt
When I first began thinking about teaching in South Korea, bassenyourseatbelt was the blog I turned to, looking for advice and hints about how to survive. Eleven months into my contract, I'm still going through and reading old posts. Julia's style of writing - personal and professional - is the example I try to follow when I blog.

Eleven Questions for My Nominees:
1. One song you listen to on repeat?
2. Food items in your refrigerator right now?
3. Favorite podcast or radio show or book on tape or music group?
4. The first movie to have a significant impact on you -- made you aware of something new, made you ask questions, or made you feel really, really good?
5. What's one book, or moment in a book, that has done the same?
6. One 'Food is AMAZING' experience?
7. Your go-to stress relief activity?
8. Favorite outdoor activity?
9. Favorite indoor activity?
10. How do you deal with irritating people?
11. What do you look for in a city? What makes you want to live in the city or town you live in? Or what is stopping you from leaving your "hometown" if it's less than your ideal?

Thank You:

For the ongoing support and acknowledgement, thank you so much, Rebecca. 

--

Eleven Random Facts About Me:

1. My Internet and social media profile name Prancingbee is a combination of my college band nickname "Prancer" and the name of my very first blog In A Beeline

2. Three-fourths of the jewelery I regularly wear was given to me and/or was handmade by my little brothers and my elementary school students. 


3. I'm a bit ambidextrous -- I'm right-handed but write with my left hand on chalkboards and other vertical planes. I also alternate painting left-handed. I dribble a basketball better left-handed and throw/catch a baseball as a left-handed person but bat right-handed. 

4. I do not like nor do I trust peacocks.

5. The sleep mode on my school computer goes through all the pictures I've collected from the web, and my students watch it like their favorite TV show. I am so proud of that. 

6. I read Tina Fey's book Bossypants and was like meh. I also never got into 30 Rock

7. I can always tell which television show I'm watching by what food I'm eating. I'm eating lots of waffles with whipped cream, albeit Korean-style, right now. 

8. The last interview I listened to was "Tim Gunn: On And Off The Runway, 'Life Is A Big Collaboration'" from NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross. 

9. I enjoy walking distances. 

10. I have a Pinterest "secret board" filled with Harry Potter fan fiction art and celebrities whose characters, onscreen and offscreen, I admire. 

11. I get high off of big bodies of water -- I am never as excitable than when I am at the ocean. 


No comments:

Post a Comment